Friday, December 16, 2011

Duckface- Um. Is this supposed to be cute?


So, what’s with girls who take pictures of themselves with their lips poked out and cheeks sucked in looking like cracked-out prostitutes advertising free blowjobs? I believe this new internet “sensation” is called duckface.

Why??????????? Why do females do this to themselves? Is there ANYONE at all in the world who still finds this cute?

See, most internet phenomena start out with one person doing something that works for them. Perhaps that very first girl, girl A, had incredible bone structure and naturally high cheek bones and decent lips… I would like to think that maybe, just maybe, she was taking a kissy-face shot and the look became a huge hit as her facebook/mypace/twitter/aim/bebo/blackplanet/whatever-the-hell-else-is-out-there profile pic. (Am I dating myself by even mentioning Blackplanet? Hope not.)

However, the next chick, girl B, who was clearly a friend/groupie/fan/cyberstalker of the first one, decided to emulate her, because let’s face it, there is no such thing as originality on the web anymore. Oh, and let’s also throw in there that ever-perpetuated lie that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Why did girl B do this? The result is a plethora of internet wannabe models who believe that scrunching their faces and causing a bad case of premature wrinkles is the way to be sexy. Once one person copies another, it is a fad. A few more people, and it becomes a trend. When it seems that every other person is doing the same ridiculous, I-look-like-I’m-trying-so-hard-to-be-beautiful-to-hide-the-fact-that-I’m-really-insecure-about-my-looks pose, then it becomes a mistake.

Perhaps this topic seems trivial; indeed, I am wondering myself why it bugs me so much. I guess the truth is because everywhere I turn, I am told what is supposed to be beautiful. And yes, I admit that I fall for a lot of it; it was even worse when I was younger. I just hate to see girls who are already beautiful in their own way try and emulate someone else- who has flaws- to cover up their own flaws.

If you want to take bathroom self pics and act like they are Victoria’s Secret model shots, no one is stopping you; just do it the right way. Instead of trying to look like the next girl, look like yourself. Maybe then you’ll find that you are not at your sexiest when you are attempting to look like an internet skank. Maybe, just maybe, you’re at your sexiest (and your most beautiful) when you are smiling naturally and it highlights the killer eyes and perfect teeth you have. Just a thought…


<3 IMP </3

No comments:

Post a Comment